- This event has passed.
October 2015 Urban Sabbath Retreat
October 16, 2015 @ 6:00 pm - October 17, 2015 @ 7:30 pm
Join us for the first Urban Sabbath Retreat, aka Shabbaton, a re-envisioning of the Jewish Sabbath experience. Below you will find a schedule of the full Shabbaton. You are welcome to attend one or more events. We encourage people who have the time to attend the full retreat to experience the spiritual richness and beauty of Shabbat. The website calendar also has details about each event and where applicable easy online RSVP and prepayment for Sabbath feasts.
Theme: Shabbat as an Environmental Practice
Go to the Calendar/RSVP tab to see more details for each Shabbaton event. All are welcome to every events. No charge and no RSVP necessary for most events. All meals will require an RSVP and prepayment. To RSVP for a Sabbath meal, click here
Friday Evening Activities-Welcoming the Sabbath
6:00-7:30 Candle Lighting and Welcome with light nosh followed by Kabbalat Shabbat Musical Service led by Rabbi Dov Gartenberg and Josh Niehaus.
7:45-9:30 A Shabbat Sacred Feast with Song, Story, and Conversation. RSVP required.
Saturday Morning Activities
9-10:30 Contemplative Shabbat morning service.
10:30-11:45 Interactive Torah and Haftarah Public Reading.
11:45-1:00 Kiddush followed by Shabbat Lunch with guided conversation. RSVP required.
Saturday Afternoon Activities
2:00-5:00 Mindful Meditation as Shabbat Rest
5:00-6:30 Third Sabbath Meal RSVP required.
6:30-7:30ish Melaveh Malkah-An Authentic Jewish Hootenanny with song and storytelling, followed by Havdallah.
Helpful Info about the Urban Sabbath Retreat-Shabbaton.
• We encourage people to register for the full Shabbaton to get the most out of the integrated programs, but attending single programs is welcome too.
• Each of the three meals require pre-registration and payment, since we do not handle money on Shabbat. We have a limited number of seats, so reserve early. We are unable to accommodate walk-ins to the meals.
• Our meals respect Jewish dietary and Sabbath based on Conservative Judaism’s standards of practice. Please let us know if you have special dietary needs when you register or contact Rabbi Dov Gartenberg with any questions you have.
• If you can’t come this time, get on our email list at www.panimhadashot.org so you can get early notice of upcoming Urban Sabbath Retreats.
• We hope you won’t worry if you don’t know or are rusty with your Hebrew. We will make everything we do accessible and inviting regardless of background.